Sunday, November 21, 2021

Does Best Buy Deliver? (Perhaps Not)…

I’ve been shopping at Best Buy for years, so the disappointing experience I’ve been having with an appliance purchase and delivery has caught me by surprise.


I noticed that the retailer’s Geek Squad has ended its reviews, and for good reason. They don’t want to hear from people like me who have been treated unprofessionally.


Here’s what happened.


I purchased a dryer at the Murfreesboro, Tennessee, store. As an add-on, I paid $200 for their Geek Squad, which included free delivery and set-up for the new dryer. The earliest appointment was about two weeks, a long time to wait. I’ve been hang-drying my clothes.


Preparing for the delivery involved moving a few pieces of furniture to clear an easy path to the utility room. I even removed pictures off the walls on the stairway. 


Then I waited… and waited… and waited. Nobody called. Nobody came. Around 7 p.m., I called Best Buy customer service. After a long wait, the representative told me the delivery had been canceled, but she didn’t know why. After another long wait, she connected me to the Geek Squad. The lady there told me they had to reschedule because my utility room is upstairs. 

The question I have is obvious: Why wasn’t this handled on the front end? And why wasn’t I notified? I waited all day.


The next possible delivery date for me is Dec. 3. That means I will have waited an additional two weeks to have my dryer delivered.


I’ve talked to friends who have had similar experiences. More and more retailers are doing things like this without apology. They expect customers to put up with this kind of unprofessional behavior. That isn’t necessarily true.


My thought is to return all of the items I purchased and stop doing business with Best Buy (and any other retailer that treats me this way). If everyone did this, they would have to listen. Proper planning and communication are key. Best Buy and the Geek Squad dropped the ball. 


No comments:

Post a Comment